Last year I planted rhubarb in my garden, so this spring I harvested the first stalks. For Mother’s Day I made this cake, and my mom really liked it-she even asked for the recipe! She likes a simple cake that’s not too gooey or sweet. Perfect fit for her!
This recipe comes from the website My Kitchen in the Rockies. There are helpful tips on this site for high altitude baking.
What you need:
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 & 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs, room temperature
1 & 2/3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
4-5 cups rhubarb, chopped into 1cm chunks
1/2 cup slivered almonds
What you do:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease a 10 inch springform pan.
2. Beat the butter and sugar for a few minutes, then add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until fluffy. Beat in the vanilla.
3. Stir in the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
4. Fold in the rhubarb, making sure you don’t mix it too much.
5. Pour the batter into the springform pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the almonds on top.
6. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool on a wire rack.