Having just made some homemade tomato soup, and knowing how much my sweetie would love it, I made up this grilled cheese sandwich for dipping in the soup. While the photo doesn’t look like the cheese was gooey, it really was. And the combination of cheeses was awesome.
What you need:
- 2 slices whole grain bread (I used Uprising Breads)
- cheese – I used some Havarti, aged Gouda, and Asiago
What you do:
- Cut some slices of each cheese.
- Heat a frying pan to medium and add some butter. Put one slice of bread into the pan and layer the cheese on top of it. Put the other bread slice on top, then turn the heat down to medium low and let it fry for a minute or two.
- Add a little more butter to the pan, then flip the sandwich. I flipped it a few times through the cooking process to make sure it didn’t burn. You want to toast the bread nicely and melt the cheese at the same time. The lower heat helps to accomplish this. I tend to go easy on the butter, but I know that using more makes it taste extra good, so do what you feel right about.
- Remove the sandwich from the pan when the cheese is gooey and cut it into halves or quarters. Serve while hot with a bowl of tomato soup.