When my sweetheart was suffering from bronchitis, and everyone else around me seemed to be getting sick, I concocted this hot drink. It soothes a sore throat, with the honey acting as an anti-inflammatory, fighting infection and tasting great. Ginger has antibacterial and pain-killing properties, and warms you up. The lemon has vitamin C and boosts the immune system. Black pepper can help ease a sore throat and is an appetizer. The warmth of a hot drink itself makes you feel good, and drinking liquids is important, and since this is so yummy you should have no problem getting it down. You can also add whiskey, which will numb your throat a bit, and might make you sleepy so you can get the rest you need when you’re sick.
What you need:
a knob of ginger
What you do:
1. Slice the ginger and put it in a small pot with some water and 8-10 peppercorns. Let this boil for at least 10 minutes.
2. Boil some water.
3. Put about 1/3 cup of the ginger liquid into a mug.
4. Squeeze the juice from 1/2 a large lemon, or one whole small lemon. Pour this into the mug.
5. Add about a teaspoon of honey, or more to taste.
6. Add a shot of whiskey if you are using it. Top the mug up with the boiling water, give it a stir, and it’s ready to go.