How to make the perfect cup of tea, according to me
a tea pot
strainer with lots of room for the tea leaves to expand
loose leaf tea
sugar – I’m using organic demerrera now
Here’s what you do:
1. heat the teapot with hot water from the tap
2. put tea leaves in the strainer, 1 teaspoon per cup
3. heat the water and as soon as it begins to boil, pour it over the tea leaves into the empty teapot
4. put a little of the boiling water into each cup to pre-heat so your tea stays hot for as long as possible
5. let the tea steep for a few minutes – some people like it dark, some like it light. I like it medium, so I leave the leaves in for about 3 minutes.
6. take the strainer with the leaves out of the pot – this is important because it will turn bitter if you leave it on for too long
7. pour tea into the tea cups and stir in a little sugar if you like
8. let the first sip remind you of all the times you’ve enjoyed a cup of tea with a good friend or in a moment of peace. May this be another one of those times.