In the middle of winter you are going to pull out a jar of these, and all the warmth of summer will come flooding back, just long enough to warm you up.
It’s really easy. You just need:
a few canning jars (but we’re not doing proper canning, so don’t worry!)
some fresh, plump cherries (I used Bing and Rainier so it would look pretty)
a little maple syrup
Here’s what you do:
1. Wash your jars and lids.
2. Stuff as many cherries as you can into each jar without squishing them.
3. Cut small pieces of vanilla bean and put one in each jar.
4. Drizzle a little maple syrup in each jar.
5. Top up with brandy.
6. Screw the lids on tight and wait a few months.
7. Enjoy straight out of the jar, or on top of some vanilla pudding or ice cream in the dead of winter.