A branch, heavy with green tomatoes, fell off my plant the other day. I took it as a sign that I was to make fried green tomatoes. Now that I’ve tried them, I want to go pick some more tomatoes before they ripen so I can make some more.
What you need:
a few green tomatoes
1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
For the sauce:
What you do:
1. Slice tomatoes about 1 & 1/2 to 2 cm wide.
2. Crack the egg into a medium-sized bowl and mix with a fork. In another bowl, place the breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
3. Coat each tomato slice in egg, then breadcrumbs. You’ll need to turn them over a few times, and press the breadcrumbs down a little to get a thicker coating on.
4. Heat a frying pan to medium, then add a little olive oil. When it’s hot, add the tomatoes. Cook them for a few minutes on each side.
5. While they are frying, mix up the yogurt and a little dill in a small bowl. I prefer yogurt that isn’t low-fat; the flavour is better, and I don’t feel the need to add sugar.
Enjoy them hot with a little sauce on the side.