Here’s an interesting twist on the usual Caesar – this one has an avocado and yogurt in the dressing, and a few extra veggies, making it a pretty healthy salad. The recipe comes from Jamie Oliver’s Save with Jamie.
I didn’t actually make this one myself; I’ve injured my shoulder and can’t cook, so my wonderful friend John came over and cooked this for me.
What you need:
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 pinches dried oregano
- olive oil
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- cucumber, sliced into rounds (I like to use the mini cukes, but English works too)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1.5 oz Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 2 anchovy fillets (I used a bit of anchovy paste)
- 5 tablespoons plain yogurt
- juice of 1 lemon + an extra lemon just in case you need it
- Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 rashers of bacon
- a small loaf of bread (we made it into garlic toast)
What you do:
- Place the chicken on a large sheet of parchment paper and toss it with salt, pepper, cayenne, oregano, and a little olive oil. Fold the parchment paper over and flatten the chicken to about 3/4 inches thick by basking it with a rolling-pin. Get a grill pan or a cast iron frying pan really hot before placing the chicken in the pan. Grill for 3-4 minutes per side. It should get nice and browned. Remove the chicken from the pan
- Fry the bacon until crispy, then let it sit on a paper towel to remove the excess fat..
- To make the dressing, put the avocado flesh, half the grated Parmesan, garlic, anchovies, yogurt, lemon juice, a few drops of Worcestershire, and the olive oil into a blender (or use an immersion blender as I did). Blend until smooth, then add a little salt and pepper to taste, and possible more lemon juice.
- Break pieces of washed and dried lettuce into a large bowl and add about half of the dressing, mixing until it is all coated. Toss in some tomatoes and cucumber rounds. You can either arrange the salad on a platter, or on individual serving plates: arrange the chicken on top, then crumble some bacon on top, along with some Parmesan.
- Enjoy with a nice loaf of warm crusty bread or garlic bread.