This roasted veggie salad is one of my newer favourites. The veggies caramelize and become even more delicious when they are roasted, but this salad is really just an excuse to use this tahini dressing.
You can easily make it into a full meal by adding some quinoa or another grain. I’ve also made it with some sumac-spiced chicken on the side.
What you need:
- 1 butternut squash
- olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower
- salt and pepper
- baby spinach
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup of warm water
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash of hot sauce
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 400F and get two baking pans ready.
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut the stem off; if you wish you can peel it, but the peel is edible, as it turns softer when it is baked. Cut the squash into slices and toss them with a little olive oil. Place on a baking sheet, salt and pepper lightly, then put into the oven. It will need about 30 minutes to cook.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and place on another baking sheet. Throw it into the oven and set the timer for about 15 minutes. At that time you can flip them over so the tops have a chance to brown up. Flip the squash oven now too.
- When the vegetables have both browned up nicely they are ready to eat. If one looks done before the other you should pull it out of the oven.
- While the vegetables are in the oven you can make the tahini dressing. Begin by putting the tahini in a bowl and add a little bit of water to mix until the tahini becomes liquid. Then add more water until it is all combined. Mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- Place the spinach on a large plate, (add your grains now if you are using them) and top it with the squash and cauliflower. Drizzle with the tahini dressing.