These moist and delicious muffins are a slight alteration of my previous favourite version. They still have grated carrots, to give them moisture, and some raisins for a pop of sweetness. For this recipe I’ve chopped up some pineapple instead of apple, which adds to the carrot-cakey flavour. I’ve used pecans here instead of walnuts, and on the top I sprinkled a little bit of brown sugar and cinnamon, just for that extra hit of flavour and some crunchiness.
On busy mornings I appreciate having some of these in the freezer. I warm one up a bit and enjoy it with a cup of tea, and it gives me some energy to start my day.
The recipe makes 12 large muffins, or 14-16 smaller muffins.
What you need:
- 1 & 1/2 cups All-bran Buds cereal
- 1 & 1/4 cups buttermilk (or add a tablespoon of vinegar to regular milk to make your own)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (or melted butter)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 cup pineapple, chopped (canned is fine if you drain the liquid)
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 & 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- a few tablespoons of brown sugar mixed with some cinnamon
What you do:
- In a large bowl, soak the Bran Buds and raisins in milk for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a dozen muffin tins with paper liners.
- Add the egg, oil and vanilla to the Bran Buds and stir it in. Stir in the grated carrots and pineapple, and at the last minute stir in the nuts.
- Using a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet bran mixture until it is just combined, being careful not to over-mix.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins; it makes quite large muffins. Sprinkle on some cinnamon sugar.
- Bake immediately for 20-25 minutes. After 20 minutes insert a toothpick into the muffin; if it comes out clean, the muffin is done. If not bake for a few more minutes and test again.
- Cool the muffins in the pan for 5 minutes, then allow to cool on a rack. You can eat them before they are cooled, but allow them to cool completely before freezing.