I wanted to make a nice light, fresh, healthy soup. This is basically a combination of a flavourful broth, a little potato, onion, garlic, and some broccoli. The broccoli isn’t cooked for too long, allowing the soup to remain a bright green. This is pretty quick to whip up, provided you’ve got some stock on hand. This is great with a little yogurt or cream swirled in before serving, along with a nice crusty bread.
What you need:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
4-5 garlic cloves, chopped finely
1 head roasted garlic (optional)
2 small white potatoes, chopped
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
a few heads of broccoli, chopped into florets
salt and pepper
to serve: a dollop of yogurt or a drizzle of cream, also optional
What you do:
1. Heat a large pot to medium and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot add the onion, cooking for a few minutes, then add the garlic. Cook for a few minutes more, until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the roasted garlic, rosemary, potatoes and stock. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are soft.
3. Add the broccoli to the pot and put a lid on it for 4-5 minutes, until the broccoli is cooked but not losing its bright green colour.
4. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup, or put it in the blender. Serve it while it’s hot!
5. To serve, top with a dollop of yogurt or a drizzle of cream.