This easy recipe is delicious as an appetizer with dipping sauces, or as part of a meal. You can also use whole chicken breasts, pounding them before coating.
What you need:
2 chicken breasts
1 Tablespoon buttermilk or plain yogurt
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
What you do:
1. In a small bowl beat egg slightly with a fork, then mix in buttermilk or yogurt.
2. In another bowl combine bread crumbs, coconut, salt and pepper.
3. Cut chicken into strips.
4. Coat chicken in egg mixture, then cover with bread crumbs. Place chicken on a baking sheet as you take it out of the bread crumb mixture.
5. Repeat step 4, this time just lightly dipping in egg mixture, then making sure it is coated in the bread crumb mixture. Place chicken on a baking sheet, with some space between each piece.
6. Bake at 350F of 15 minutes, then turn each piece over once and bake for 5 more minutes. They should be slightly browned.
7. If you are using this as an appetizer, serve with sweet chilli sauce or honey mustard mayo (see recipe below). It is great when paired with a pasta dish, such as lemon-basil pasta.
Honey Mustard Mayo:
Mix 1 tablespoon mayonnaise with 1 teaspoon dijon mustard and 1 teaspoon honey.