For my dad’s birthday I baked him this cake. Not a birthday cake, just a really good cake to enjoy with his coffee. He said it was “really good,” and my mom agreed. That’s the only review I’ve got of this one so far, aside from the fabulous aroma that took over my kitchen while it was baking!
What you need:
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar plus a little for sprinkling
zest of one lemon
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup flour
What you do:
1. Melt the butter and then allow it to cool.
2. Combine the sugar and lemon zest, using your fingers to rub the zest into the sugar until the sugar is a bit moist.
3. Add eggs one at a time, and whisk after each one. Whisk in salt, vanilla and almond extracts.
4. Stir in the flour, then fold in the melted butter.
5. Pour the batter into an 8 or 9 inch greased pan. Sprinkle the toasted almonds and then some sugar on the top.
6. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until golden, and a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Cool the cake in the pan, then cut into squares to serve.