Always looking for new ways to cook with quinoa, I found this recipe in the Hollyhock cookbook and just changed it a little, most notably by using less cheese. Quinoa is a great source of iron, calcium and protein, and cauliflower provides lots of folate and vitamin C, and is has anticarcinogenic properties.
Oh, and it all tastes good together.
What you need:
1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
3 cups diced onion
3 chopped and rinsed leeks
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon fresh or frozen dill
1 cup kalamata olives
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup quinoa, uncooked
1 cup grated cheddar (or another favourite cheese) – I use lactose-free l’Ancetre brand
optional: soft silken tofu
What you do:
1. Cook the rinsed quinoa in 1 & 1/2 cups water for 15 minutes.
2. Saute the onions, leeks and garlic in the butter or oil until the onions are transparent
3. Add the cauliflower and cook, covered, for about 5 minutes.
4. Mix the onion mixture together with the quinoa, lemon, dill, olives, salt and pepper (optional silken tofu) and half the cheese in a baking dish.
5. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and garnish with a bit of paprika.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350F.
This one is best served hot, and also works well to heat up as leftovers.