This colourful soup is packed with nutritious veggies and plenty of flavour. There aren’t many seasonings, but this soup gets its flavour from the vegetables, especially the browned onions. A dollop of plain yogurt as you’re serving finishes it off perfectly!
What you need:
1 large onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves, sliced
1 leek, sliced
1 red pepper, diced finely
1 fennel bulb, diced finely
2 carrots. grated
1 parsnip, grated
1/2 jalapeno with seeds, finely diced
4-5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup red lentils
salt and pepper, to taste
What you do:
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot and cook onions until slightly browned.
2. Add the garlic and leek and cook for a few more minutes.
3. Add the rest of the vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the broth and lentils and cook for about 30 minutes, simmering on low.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with a dollop of plain yogurt.