This summer I am staying in a college dormitory for three weeks as I attend French classes at the College Merici. Our kitchen is equipped with just a pot and a pan and a few plates, cups and cutlery. Not wanting to equip an entire kitchen, my roommates and I have been challenging ourselves to make delicious meals using few ingredients and cooking utensils.
For Saturday brunch I walked to the patisserie to buy the croissants, and then came home to whip these up. Et voila! Les Croissants aux oeufs, avec bacon et des tomates!
What you need:
croissants, 1 per person
eggs, 1 per person
bacon, 1-2 slices per person
tomatoes, 1 small tomato per person
salt and pepper
What you do:
1. Fry the bacon until crispy, then drain it on paper towels. Remove most of the bacon fat from the pan.
2. Slice the tomatoes, then fry them in a little bit of the bacon fat. Add salt and pepper, and cook a little on each side.
3. Crack the eggs into a bowl, add a little salt and pepper and mix them up with a fork. Add a little water, about a tablespoon, and mix it in.
4. Remove the tomatoes from the pan and set aside. Add some olive oil to the pan, then cook the eggs. I like to have the pan on medium high, then add the eggs. I don’t stir them until they have cooked a bit on the bottom, stir a little, then let them cook again, stirring maybe once or twice more before they are done.
5. To prepare the croissants, slice them open, then put in some eggs, then add the tomatoes and bacon on top.