This cream cheese spread makes a great appetizer with a loaf of fresh bread or crackers. A friend of mine used to always buy this spread when we were having wine and appies, and another friend, Sarah, makes her own delicious version. This recipe is a combination of what I guessed to be the ingredients in the store-bought version, and some tips from Sarah.
The one difference with my recipe is that I made my own oven-dried cherry tomatoes. I make up a big batch, and they keep for a long time in the fridge.
Make this recipe at least an hour ahead of time so the flavours have a chance to mingle.
What you need:
- 1 – 250 gram tub of spreadable cream cheese (or Tofutti non-dairy cream cheese)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- a few sun-dried cherry tomatoes packed in olive oil (or oven-roasted to make it even better)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- a few sprigs fresh basil, chopped
- a little freshly squeezed lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
What you do:
- Combine the mayonnaise and cream cheese.
- Chop and add the cherry tomatoes, minced garlic, basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust the amounts of anything you think you need more of.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Garnish with a sprig of basil, and serve with a loaf of freshly baked bread or crackers of your choice.