I fell in love with Lebanese food the year I lived in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Now I seek out Lebanese recipes to experiment with at home. I found this one on David Lebovitz’s awesome site.
Za’atar is a combination of sesame seeds, sumac, and some herbs. Mixed with some mustard, oil and vinegar it makes a lovely dressing for grilled veggies. I made zucchini for this post, but later used it on other veggies as well, and all were delicious.
I can hardly wait until the zucchini in my garden are ready, and I can make this again.
What you need:
- 1 kg zucchini
- 2 tablespoons sherry or cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (plus some for the zucchini)
- 4 teaspoons za’atar
- 1/4 teaspoon sumac (optional)
What you do:
- Slice the zucchini to 1/4 inch, as evenly as possible so you don’t have parts that burn. Using a mandoline works well. Toss the slices in a some olive oil.
- Combine all the rest of the ingredients to make the vinaigrette.
- Heat the grill and brush it with some olive oil. Grill the zucchini slices until they are charred on each side.
- Arrange the zucchini on a platter and pour some dressing over the slices.