This flame-roasted tomato salsa is excellent any time of year, even in the cooler seasons when it is challenging to access super tasty tomatoes. It’s really easy to whip up, but you do need to plan ahead so that you will have some roasted garlic on hand. I’ve started roasting a bunch of garlic bulbs and freezing them so I can make this awesome salsa anytime I want. I have served it with tortilla chips, but my favourite way to eat it is on beans and rice.
Recently I’ve been buying a lot of the Las Margaritas fresh salsa – it is just so good! But I can only find it in one store, and it is often sold out. So the difficulty finding it, combined with the nearly $8.00 price tag, made me start looking for a way to make it at home.
And . . . I found it! In the Thug Kitchen Cookbook! Yay!
I only made one change to the recipe, and it was a tiny one. I used sweet onions, and typically use them in all my recipes that call for onion because they don’t make me cry as much, plus I think they taste better. The most recent time I made this salsa I didn’t have any green onions, and it was still really good without them.
If you are looking for a fresh tomato salsa you can find one here, and this is a link to a creamy avocado salsa called gaucamolata. This roasted tomatillo salsa is also really flavourful.
What you need:
- 1 can (398mL / 14.5 oz.) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 white onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1-3 Serrano peppers, minced (depending on how much heat you like)
- a whole head of roasted garlic
- 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- juice of 1/2 lime
- salt to taste
What you do:
- Chop the onion, green onions, cilantro and Serrano pepper.
- Put all the ingredients (except for the salt) in a blender, or use an immersion blender to whiz everything up. Leave it a little bit chunky.
- Add salt to taste.