Mmmm, just in time for spring. You’ve got all that rhubarb coming up in your garden (or the grocery store!), and here’s the perfect recipe to utilize it. So moist, and the tangy rhubarb contrasts well with the sweet sugary-nutty topping. Either the people I work with are really really nice, or this cake is amazing – I think it’s both! Thanks guys!
What you need:
1/2 cup butter
1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain yogurt (not no-fat)
1 &1/2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1 cm chunks
for the topping:
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
What you do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Cream butter and brown sugar, then blend in egg.
3. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
4. Mix one-third of the flour mixture into the butter mixture by hand.
5. Add half the yogurt and mix until just incorporated.
6. Mix in one-third more of the flour, then the rest of the yogurt, then the rest of the flour. Mix until just combined or it will make a tough cake!
7. Add rhubarb, then pour into a buttered 9 x 13 inch pan, smoothing the top a little.
8. For the topping: melt the butter, then stir in white sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and walnuts. Spread this mixture over the top of the cake.
9. Bake for around 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
One thought on “Rhubarb Walnut Cake”