Yes, you read that right – bacon shortbread. I heard about this and had no intention of making it, but then I mentioned it to a few people and they said they’d really like to try it. So I gave it a try, and . . . it’s actually good! Sweet and Salty are a great combination! Please comment if you try this recipe, as people might need a second opinion.
Really, I just made shortbread and added some bacon to part of the recipe, and made the rest regular shortbread. So you can do that, using just a few slices of bacon, or you can make the whole recipe below.
What you need:
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (no substitutions!)
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 drops almond extract
1 & 3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup crispy bacon, finely chopped
What you do:
1. Cream the butter, then beat in the sugar. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and beat until light in colour.
2. Add flour, salt and bacon and mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
3. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour. (If you make the dough ahead of time you can refrigerate it, but make sure you take it out of the fridge about an hour before you want to roll it out or it will be rock hard!)
4. Roll dough to about 3/4 of a centimetre thickness, on a floured table. Use floured cookie cutters to cut shapes, then place them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
5. Bake at 325 F for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on racks, then refrigerate.