The recipe for these cakey brownies comes from Rebar Restaurant’s vegan fudge brownie recipe. In my version I used butter and real chocolate, instead of vegan margarine and carob chips. I’m printing the recipe up as a non-vegan one, so if you need it to be vegan you can use the ingredients in brackets. I’ve had this recipe both ways, and both are delicious.
The cake part of this is great, but it’s the glaze on top, and the chocolate chips in the cake, that make this for me.
You can also add some toasted walnuts to the batter if you wish.
What you need for the brownie:
- 1 & 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 & 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coffee, cooled
- 3/4 cup milk (soy, rice, or your fave alternative milk)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (carob chips)
What you need for the glaze:
- 210 grams (7 oz) dark chocolate
- 2/3 cup butter (vegan margarine)
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Grease a 9″ by 9″ pan with butter and then line it with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder, then add the brown sugar and salt. Add the coffee, milk and oil, then stir until it is all combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan and then sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, checking for doneness with a toothpick, which should come out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool.
- To prepare the glaze use either a double boiler, or a bowl on top of a pot of lightly boiling water. Melt the chocolate and butter and whisk it together until it is smooth. Pour the glaze over the cake and spread it so there is an even layer.
- Place the pan in the fridge to set. To slice, remove the cake from the fridge to warm a little before slicing. This will prevent the chocolate from cracking, and make your brownies prettier.
4 thoughts on “Fudge Brownies (Rebar’s recipe)”
So amazing! Brownies are the best! Thanks for sharing 🙂 I made really simple, quick, and delicious Italian munchkins. You can check them out here 🙂
If you can make it vegan then why not? haha