This nutty brownie is a no-bake, vegan, gluten-free, lactose-free, raw recipe that also happens to be super tasty. It makes a great energy bar that you can pack for a big bike ride or hike. It contains nuts to give you some protein, and there’s natural sugar in the dates to make it taste good.
You don’t need an oven, but you will need a food processor for this recipe. It keeps well in the fridge for a few weeks, or the freezer for a few months.
Just know that it is not your typical brownie that is cakey or gooey. You can find some of those recipes here , here, and here.
I halved the recipe when I made it, but here is the full recipe version that comes from theminimalistbaker.com.
What you need:
- 1 cup raw unsalted almonds (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 & 2 1/2 cups Medjool dates (pitted)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder or raw cacao
- 1-2 tsp espresso powder or finely ground coffee
- pinch sea salt
- Line a cake pan with parchment paper (or loaf pan for 1/2 a recipe)
- Place 1 cup of the walnuts along with the almonds in the food processor and process until it is finely ground.
- Put the cocoa, espresso powder and sea salt in the processor, then pulse to combine. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Process the dates until soft, then remove to a bowl.
- Put the nut and cocoa mixture back in the processor, then slowly add the dates through the spout in the top of the processor. Process until it becomes doughy; I had to add a little bit of water. The mixture should come together when you squeeze it.
- Place the mixture into the lined cake pan, then add the chopped walnuts. Combine the walnuts with the brownie mixture, then press it down until it is flat.
- Cover and refrigerate for about half an hour before cutting.
2 thoughts on “No-Bake Chocolate Date Nut Brownies”
I tried making this today and it’s good! Everyone liked it! Thanks for the recipe.
Well that’s great news! Glad you all enjoyed it!