Stuffed peppers look so pretty, and this recipe is pretty healthy too, stuffed with lots of veggies and quinoa. I like to make dishes that have it all – lots of healthy veg, some protein and a complex carbohydrate. So I put together some of my favourite ingredients, and this is what I came up with.
You can prepare the filling ahead of time, even stuff the peppers and pop them in the fridge. Throw them in the oven just before serving, make a little green salad on the side and you’re ready to go!
What you need:
sweet peppers (a dozen mini or half a dozen regular sized)
200 grams ground turkey
1 chorizo sausage, removed from casing
1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
1 sweet onion, diced
4 mushrooms, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 sweet red pepper (for filling), diced
1 stalk celery, diced
2 tablespoons dried currants
salt and lots of pepper
What you do:
1. Before cooking the quinoa rinse it, then put it in a pot with about a cup of water. Bring it to a boil, then lower the heat and put a lid on it, cooking for 15 minutes. If the water doesn’t all get absorbed in this time, put it back on the heat for a few minutes, stirring until the liquid is gone.
2. Cook the chorizo, removed from its casing, along with the turkey meat. Drain the fat off and set the meat aside.
3. In a little olive oil cook the onions on medium-low heat until they start to brown. Add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes. The onions will begin to get quite brown, which is exactly what you want, because a lot of the flavour in the dish is coming from the nicely browned onions.
4. Add the garlic and the rest of the veggies, stirring and cooking until they begin to soften.
5. Mix the meats, quinoa, currants and veggies together, adding salt and quite a bit of pepper to taste.
6. Cut the tops off the peppers, the fill each pepper and put the tops back on. Preheat the oven to 350F.
7. Arrange them in a baking dish as you fill them, then pop them in the oven for about 45 minutes!
One thought on “Quinoa-Stuffed Peppers: Turkey and Chorizo with lots of Veggies”
This looks gooood. I’ll try it soon!