This is one of my all-time favourite cakes. It is easy to make, and people love it. The tartness of the cranberries balances out the sweetness of the walnut topping. I sometimes make it in a big 9×11 pan, but often in two round or square pans so I can freeze one or give it to someone. I also make this as a rhubarb cake, but only in the summer when I’ve got rhubarb coming up in my garden. I often make this to bring to someone’s house when I don’t know what else to bring, because so far everyone who has tried it has loved it. You can’t go wrong!
What you need:
1/2 cup butter
1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain yogurt (not no-fat)
1 & 1/2 cups cranberries, frozen or fresh
For the topping:
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
What you do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Cream butter and brown sugar, then blend in egg.
3. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
4. Mix one-third of the flour mixture into the butter mixture with a wooden spoon.
5. Add half the yogurt and mix until just incorporated.
6. Mix in one-third more of the flour, then the rest of the yogurt, then the rest of the flour. Mix until just combined or it will make a tough cake!
7. Add cranberries, then pour into a buttered 9 x 13 inch pan (or two round or square 9-inch pans), smoothing the top a little.
8. To make the topping, melt the butter, then stir in the rest of the ingredients. Spread if over top of the batter.
9. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.