These chocolate cheesecake brownies are from an old handwritten recipe in a book I started over twenty years ago to store my recipes. All I have is the recipe with no reference, so I can’t give proper credit to whomever created this one. But it was always a crowd pleaser, and it made a lot of people very happy when I brought it to work yesterday. I like the cream cheese part, but for me the brownie is the shining star – it is dense and rich and chocolatey.
Although the recipe has two steps, it is really easy and quite quick to whip up. I like recipes that don’t require softening the butter before beginning, because I always forget to take it out of the fridge ahead of time and then have to wait a long time for it to soften. In this one you melt the butter, so no need to soften. You do, however, need to soften the cream cheese – but I cheated by putting it in the microwave for a few seconds.
Instead of regular cream cheese I used Tofutti. It turned out fine, but I think it is better with the real thing. Tofutti is a great product, but in this case it ended up being a little thinner than I would have liked.
What you need for the cream cheese layer:
- 250 grams cream cheese (not the spreadable kind)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
What you need for the brownie layer:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
What you do:
- Grease a 9-inch baking pan with a little butter.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a mixing bowl beat the cream cheese, then gradually add the sugar, egg and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- To make the brownie layer melt the butter, then pour it into another mixing bowl. Stir in the cocoa.
- Beat in the sugar, vanilla and 2 eggs. I use the same beaters that still have a little bit of the cream cheese mixture on them to beat this – no need to wash in between, speeds things up!
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together (in reality I don’t do this very often, but you can do it if you want.) Mix until combined.
- Pour the brownie mixture into the pan and smooth it down. Then pour the cream cheese mixture over top of it. I like to run a knife through it to mix the two up a little.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. I like to go with the shorter amount of time because I really like them when they are moist. Everybody else seems to agree!