A new favourite! These savoury muffins were super delicious fresh out of the oven, served with a nice bowl of soup. They have cheddar, spinach and spring onions in them, and they are nice and light. They also work well as a breakfast or snack muffin.
Of course they were best eaten fresh out of the oven, but I heated one up the next day and that one was really good too! I’ve got a few in the freezer for when I need a last minute addition to a meal.
I found the recipe on myfussyeater.com, and only changed a few things: I omitted the red peppers, and I added a bit of salt to the tops of the muffins. As well, I never buy self-raising flour, so in my version printed below I have included ingredients to substitute for self-raising flour. The recipe called for medium eggs, and I only had large so I used those – seemed a fine substitution to me. Also, I didn’t have quite enough butter so I topped it up with olive oil. I used more spring onions than the recipe indicated.
What you need:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (150mL milk)
- 1/2 cup (150mL) butter, melted
- 2 cups grated aged cheddar
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- freshly ground pepper
- salt for the top of the muffins
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Line muffin tins with 12 liners, spraying them if they are not parchment.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, then stir in the milk and the melted butter (let it cool before adding it or it will solidify when you add it). Mix in the grated cheese, spring onion, and spinach.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder, then add the salt and pepper and the crumbled stock cube.
- Hand mix until just combined; I added a little bit more milk because mine seemed way too dry.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tins and crack a little bit of salt on top of each.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. If you insert a toothpick or skewer into the middle of a muffin it should come out dry.
- Cool completely before freezing, but enjoy them while they are warm!
3 thoughts on “Savoury Cheddar Muffins”
Thanks! Always excited to get your recipes! Hope all is well! Sandra
Thanks Sandra! All is definitely well! Hope you are well too!