These prosciutto-wrapped endive are a super easy, super delicious appetizer. I made it for a French roasted duck dinner recently, and it was a tasty way to start a meal with an aperitif of Lillet and sparkling water.
I usually find endive to be a bit too bitter for my taste, but grilled and paired with the salty meat is the perfect combination.
I got the recipe from seriouseats.com. I left off the walnuts because my guest doesn’t like them.
What you need:
- 3 endive
- 6 very thin slices of prosciutto or jambon de Bayonne
- olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 slice fresh lemon
- toasted walnuts (optional)
What you do:
- Slice the endive in half lengthwise. Drizzle each half with a little olive oil, then add some salt and pepper.
- Wrap each half in one piece of prosciutto.
- Heat a grilling or frying pan to medium heat.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes per side (my endives were on the small side, so 5 minutes was a little too long), until the endive is soft and the prosciutto has become crisp.
- Plate the endive and squeeze the lemon juice over top. Crumble the walnuts on top, if you are using them, and eat right away.