If you like pecans, whole grains and vitamin C-rich peppers, then you’ll love this hearty salad. It’s great for a lunch or picnic.
What you need:
3/4 cup brown rice
1/4 cup wild rice
1 each of red, orange and yellow peppers
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 bunch parsley
1- 2 green onions
1/3 cup dried currants
For the dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons honey or maple syrup
1 teaspoon tamari
What you do:
1. Put the rices in a pot with 1 & 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn heat to low. Cook for 45 minutes, then take off the heat, leaving the lid on, for 10 minutes.
2. Toast pecans by heating in a frying pan for 5-8 minutes on medium-low heat. Be careful! It’s easy to burn them.
3. Chop peppers into approximately 2 cm chunks.
4. Chop parsley and green onion.
5. Mix oil, vinegar, honey and tamari together, then stir in a large bowl with all the veggies and the currants.
6. Let the veggies and sauce do their thing while you are waiting for the rice to cook and cool. Mix the rice in, and you’re good to go! It’s really nice served with a few slices of avocado.
Great for leftovers!