Tartar sauce with fish is so delicious, but typical recipes contain a lot of mayonnaise that is just way to easy to gobble up. I’ve recently bought some frozen, breaded fish to keep in my freezer for last-minute meals. I’ve also got some pickles and yogurt and a few other bits and bobs in the fridge that I can use to whip up this yummy sauce.
I served the fish and tartar sauce with oven-baked breaded zucchini and baked onion rings. The tartar sauce is a nice dip for those too. If I was in more of a hurry I would probably have just eaten it with some frozen peas, making it a great last-minute meal!
The amounts are estimates, so you’ll have to taste it and see what you think you need to add more of.
What you need:
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I use 3.5%)
- about 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1 teaspoon chopped capers
- 1-2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- a dash or two of hot sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot)
- salt and pepper to taste
What you do:
- Combine the Dijon and yogurt.
- Add everything else. Mix it in. I like quite a bit of pepper in mine, but taste and see what you think.