My friend Jen got me thinking about this dinner pancake thing. It’s an all-in-one type of meal, good for dinner, lunch or brunch. Because of the beaten egg whites they are quite light, almost like a pan-fried souffle, and your veggies are built right in. I served them with slices of avocado on top, but plain yogurt or some fried mushrooms would make great toppings too!
What you need:
6 eggs, separated
1 cup flour
1 & 1/2 cups cottage cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper
1 head of broccoli, separated into small florets
1/2 red onion, diced
What you do:
1. Cook the onion in a little olive oil until slightly browned.
2. Beat the egg whites until they are very fluffy and a peak forms when you take the beater out.
3. Mix the egg yolks and cottage cheese into the flour, salt and pepper. Fold the egg whites into this yolk mixture, then add the onions and broccoli, stirring until it is just combined. I made the mistake once of stirring too much, and they got a bit tough and weren’t very fluffy.
4. Heat a frying pan to medium high. I made small pancakes so they wouldn’t break apart easily. Try making one first to see how long they take to cook and to make sure your pan is the right temperature. When one side has browned nicely it’s time to flip it, then the other side needs about a minute.
5. Top with something savoury and eat them while they’re hot!